News – LighterBro

Plus...FREE SHIPPING on All Orders Over $20!!


Introducing the 2017 LighterBro Skate Team

Introducing the 2017 LighterBro Skate Team

Skateboarding Is a big part of the inspiration responsible for the LighterBro design, innovations, logos, and our culture.  The inventor of the LighterBro multi tool, Kyber, started skating almost as soon as he could walk and has never stopped.  Part of our mission is to help the progression of the sport.  We could think of no better way to do this than support those on the cutting edge of the sport by forming the LighterBro Skate Team.  Check out Vinnie, Shuriken, and Sean's bios here.  If you want to support them too, the best way is to follow them and buy their signature LighterBros.  When you buy a signature skate team LighterBro, the profits go directly to that skater.  You will be helping them on their mission to progress the sport with new tricks, innovations and inspiration for us all.  Read about the team here

What have we been up to? Holliday Edition


Curious what's new for LighterBro?

Make sure to follow us on Instagram (@LighterBro) or Facebook (LytrBro) to keep up with us.  Here are a few things coming up this winter:

We have been growing our Skateboard team and have some of the most progressive skaters pushing the sport to new levels.  At a recent competition, all eyes were on Zander Gabrial as he became the first to pull off a clean 360 hard flip - a first in history!  

We will have some New LighterBro Team Rider signature editions coming out with limited quantities, so keep checking our social media to see when they might be launching.

  We are always looking to support new talent and grow our team even more.  If you know of any talented up and coming skaters looking to jump to the next level with our team, have them contact us.

You might not know that LighterBro MultiTool was first invented on a sailboat while cruising around the world. So, to ring in the new year, we are heading back to our roots and launching a new epic sailing adventure promoting world unity, environmental awareness & fun times with your LighterBro, as we cruise down the west coast of Mexico, spreading the good word of LighterBro usefulness all along the way. The LighterBro Boat #brovessel, departs from Santa Barbara, California headed down Baja California and then on to the west coast of Mainland Mexico. We will be giving out LighterBros to all we meet along the way, documenting how our unifying MultiTool helps people everywhere, while recording the wildlife and adventure that exists on the remote and seldom visited islands on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. We will be posting lots of pictures, video and writing about the trip the whole way on a dedicated website documenting the journey. So keep your eye out for the epic adventure aboard the LighterBro Boat to come.

Our surf team is expanding with some of the best underground rippers now representing LighterBro MuiltTool. So keep an eye out on instagram for @gabeventurelli who got the tube of the century at Sand Bar & @christian_enns with his unique surf art & style in big mysto waves all over the world. 

Wave of the Day
Watch the Video

Also keep an eye out for WuTang Clan rapper Prodigal Sunn of the Sunz of Man, as he teams up with LighterBro to help promote his new Album “The Spark” with his own custom LighterBro!.

Thank you,

Team LighterBro

LighterBro Coastal Expedition - Pedal Powered

Bucket list item #4: Ride down the Pacific coast on a bike exploring hidden treasures off the beaten path.

The "Lost Coast"

Things have been pretty busy around here. It's never easy to find the time to take off work and life, transport yourself, your bike, and all your gear for a 7-day 750mi one-way bike trip. Where to sleep, what route to take, how to shuttle gear, can I pedal that far? There is always time in the future for this... Right? A couple of weeks before my 35th birthday, I realized there is no better time for this adventure than now. I would leave immediately to drive north, and sort out the details on the 14-hour drive. Realizing this ride would be a lot more fun if I had friends come along, I blasted out a quick email to the short list of people I thought might have the right mix of mega-endurance, adventurous spirit, free time, and crazy. Only one person took the bait: Dylan. On Sep 26th 2015, Dylan and I started pedaling from Florence, Oregon on a one-way bike trip to San Francisco. We were fortunate to have my wife Charity and son Hayden join us via car to meet up at at the start, mid-point and end of each day.

  • 7 Days
  • 730 miles
  • 53,078 ft of climbing
  • Moving time: 47 hrs

Day 1: Florence to Humbug Mountain - 114 miles The start of our journey began in the perpetually green and densely forested rolling hills right in the middle of the Oregon Coast. We were greeted with cool temperatures and friendly roads (smooth quiet roads with wide shoulders), which proved to be the norm for our time in Oregon. The first 40 miles were in a shaded forest that rolled up and down and turned left and right. Water was everywhere: there was never a mile ridden without seeing creeks, rivers, ponds, and lakes. It was hard to tell how close we were to the Pacific with such a dense forest, but every so often we would catch a view and see the massive sand dunes that spanned most of the first 50 miles we rode. We stopped for lunch in an amazing cove in Charleston just south of Coos Bay. Continuing south, we embarked on the infamous 7 Devils climb(s). These 7 climbs turned out to be pretty easy and hardly noteworthy. It was unclear, at the time, why the notoriety. A Google search later revealed its history of paranormal activity, buried treasure and unexplained accidents. A couple hours farther south we took a detour through the town of Bandon where we took in epic vistas of the rock studded ocean.

Coast near Bandon

Rolling along the coast, we easily cruised past the 100-mile mark with the aid of a 10 mph tail wind into Port Orford. One last stretch of friendly road led us to our camping spot on Humbug mountain.

Port Orford Views

Day 2: Humbug Mountain to Klamath - 116 miles This day presented more amazing ocean vistas before our first detour of the day. We explored the Rogue river from its mouth for a 20 mile loop upstream.

Oregon Coast

At the mid-point of our day, we crossed into California just after dodging a pack of elk. We left the coast behind and headed inland up some steep mountain roads. Our route snaked though thick redwood forests with a canopy so dense it seemed like the day was ending. The cool, dark and damp climate allowed moss to grow on the side of the road where were were supposed to be riding. Not too many bikers get a chance to ride here.

Oregon Coast

A final descent took us into a valley carved in the mountains by the mighty Klamath river. We stopped for the night in the town of Klamath.


Klamath River

Day 3: Klamath to Ferndale - 88 miles We kicked off the day by leaving all roads and traveling through the heart of the Redwood National Park and the Murrelet Wilderness on narrow dirt trails. These trails were fairly smooth and climbed up through the forest showing us the the remote coast, dense river valleys, oak forests, and miles of old growth redwoods.

Redwood National Park

After leaving the National Park, we continued on south skirting the obstacles nature placed in our path including huge sand dunes, expansive bays, and wide open coastline. After many hours of awesome countryside exploration, the fun was coming to an end. At rush hour, we rolled right through the middle of Eureka, which was filled with lots of traffic and sketchy characters on the roadside. We got through as quick as possible and found our way south to the quiet farm-lined town of Ferndale.

Day 4 Ferndale to Garberville - 98 miles Ferndale sits just north of the most remote part of the California coast, the "Lost Coast", a stretch of rugged coast lined with mountains that is extremely hard to access. Only the northern and southern boundaries are reachable by car and it is a several hour drive off the highway. We climbed over several mountain passes to reach the Northern tip of the lost coast. We explored south until the only route farther south was on the sandy shoreline.

Northern Boundary of the Lost Coast

We climbed over several more mountains to escape the coast and headed into the one of the most expansive old growth redwood forests around. This incredible forest is home to the true giants of California, trees over 1000 years old, 200 ft tall and more than 50 ft in circumference. We rode for 15 miles though Humboldt Redwood State Park and the Avenue of Giants weaving through these redwoods on narrow winding roads.

Humboldt Redwood State Park

Little Redwood

We stopped for the night at a friends house in Garberville. This small mountain town was nice, though strangely we saw dozens of hitchhikers on the road here. We later found these visitors were "Trimmigrants".

Day 5 Garberville to Mendocino - 79 miles Smooth, quiet, and curvy mountain roads led us to the ocean just south of the Lost Coast. These are the roads cyclists live for: perfectly banked turns, smooth as ice, no cars, cool shade, fast descents, and picturesque climbs for miles. The last 30 miles were on the beautiful coastline of Mendocino County.

Road to Mendocino Coastline

Coastal creature sniffing out top secret prototypes

Day 6 Mendocino to Bodega Bay - 121 miles Heading south from Mendocino, the coast is very hilly. We were either going up or down hills, but rarely going up for more than a couple minutes. The road winds around many rock coves home to sea otters, abalone, jellyfish, crabs and more. We stopped for a quick dive to see all of these in the chilly waters.

Coves on Mendocino County

With such a rough coastline, many lighthouses were spotted en route.

Pt. Arena Lighthouse

After riding south for 100 miles, we turned off the main road, and went up a dirt road into the mountains at Willow Creek. This detour provided a big loop up onto some high mountains through the dense forests on the empty dirt fire roads of Sonoma Coast State Park before finishing the day in Bodega Bay.

Off the beaten path

Day 7 Bodega Bay to San Francisco - 87 miles The last day of our adventure took us by Tomales Bay, Stinson Beach, the summit of Mt. Tam, and finally over the Golden Gate Bridge. We met up with our friends Daniel, Chester and Ben en route to San Francisco. We were expecting a easy social cruise this day much like the final day of the Tour de France. It all started out that way until at mile 40, we were passed by a Lycra-clad biker hammering the roads. We realized this was the first day-trip biker we have seen on the entire trip. (we saw about 12 "bike-packers" in 700 miles) It was also the only time we were passed by another biker. We had no plans of this being a race, but it seemed easy enough to re-pass this guy and and maintain our streak of never being passed. An informal race unfolded with us coming out ahead just before the start of the long climb up Mt. Tam. Here we met up with Daniel. He kept a high pace and made sure we did not have an easy time on the climb. Near the summit of Tam, we connected with Ben "the hammer" and the heavily sponsored pro champ Chester. Chester decided to made it a mission to turn the final 20 miles into an all-out gloves off race to the bridge. We arrived at the foot of the bridge in record time. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco was a ceremonial welcoming back to the real world. As we travel back to our lives, the adventures left in our wake remain etched in our minds and souls. We are thankful for the experiences and those that helped us along the way. I hope we inspire a few others to get out and explore the coast..


Matt gets a little LighterBro... claims the speed record on the tallest peak in the US

LighterBro Athlete, Matt Dubberley, takes the speed ascent record of the tallest mountain in the Continental US: Mt Whitney, 14,496ft in 1hr 47min 40s. He took the round trip record from Whitney Portal as well in 2hr 38min 15s.

Mt. Whitney: 14,495ft Source:

Previous record: 1:49:10 up, 3:03:05 round trip set by Andy Anderson in 2014. The journey to this accomplishment has been about a year in the making, but I will start my story two days before my first big attempt on this record, when I hiked up to do some reconnaissance. I had only done Mt Whitney twice before and I had never done the exact route the current record holder took. The Mountaineer's route is very steep and direct, and it is the fastest way up the mountain. Much of the route is loosely defined and there are several forks and options for the ascent. I read about one route option above Lower Boyscout Lake that was supposedly faster for people who were skilled at traversing steep slabs. It was steep and exposed, but well within my comfort zone. I made it up without any issue and it seemed like a faster route, though I had never done the normal route or at speed so I had no real data to go on. On this day, I was just hiking, so I would not have any data until my record attempt. I was stoked as I knew the current record holder did not go this way, AND it was dangerously exposed, so any future runners looking to dethrone me might be deterred by this obstacle.

The rest of my reconnaissance hike went smoothly. I made it about 2/3rds of the way to the top and decided to save my legs and get back by dark. I had already spent several hours earlier trying to unlock a different route option that turned out to be GPS data error from the record holder's run. The idea to go for the speed record up Mt. Whitney all started out of the need for more challenge. I spent a few years fighting for mountain trail running Strava records in the Santa Barbara Mountains for a couple of years, and I eventually got most of the speed records. The competition was formidable featuring some of the fastest trail and road runners in town pushing my limits continuously. A highlight of this era for me was when 2016 Olympic marathon hopeful, Curly Guillen, took the record on the prominent Jesusita trail to Inspiration point. It took me nearly 6 months, but I took it from him by a few seconds on Christmas Eve 2013. He took it back a week later on New Year's day. It took me more than 6 months, but eventually I regained that record. Around that time, I had most of the records in Santa Barbara, and the local competition seemed to have given up on dethroning me. It was time to go bigger: the highest peak in the Continental US, Mt. Whitney. The trailhead is at 8,500ft and the summit is 14,500ft. While I didn’t know much about the previous Whitney record holder Andy Anderson before I started the quest for this FKT (Fastest Known Time), I soon learned his time would not be easy to beat. He holds many of the records for the biggest mountains around. When I was the Tetons a few years ago, I witnessed Kilian Jornet, arguably the fastest mountain runner around, set a new record for the infamous Grand Teton. That record was very hotly contested for decades and the previous record was so fast that it stood for 20 years before Kilian took it. A week after Kilian took the Grand Teton FKT, Andy took it from Killian. THAT’S BOLD! It wasn’t until months after I committed to Whitney that I learned all of this and who I was up against. Oh well… I’ll give it a shot.

The Grand Teton, Wednesday, July 29th, 2015 was the day for my attempt. I had been training for nearly a year. In the last month, I acclimated to the altitude and adopted a zero-junk-food-mostly unprocessed-plant-food, vegetarian diet (Thanks to great chef and wife, Charity) to drop 9 more pounds below the 5 lbs I had already shed in the previous months. I had researched and tested all the gear I needed to make sure it was the best possible. I consulted Dr. Geoff Gray at Luxe Labs, and got some advice such as brand new research data showing how to most efficiently carry water while running. Chris Hillyer, who is responsible for creating and innovating at the shoe company Deckers, offered to give me the best mountain running shoes they had. These shoes were not even for sale here yet and were prototypes at the time. He even offered to design a custom shoe just for this FKT attempt! I found the Hoka One Speed Goat shoe to be ideal for mountain running, and these shoes took me up and down over a dozen 13- and 14-thousand foot peaks in the months of training leading to Whitney. In the final weeks of preparation, I competed in the Barr Trail Mountain Race, a famous trail race on Pikes Peak. This race featured, among others, a couple of very fast (and high altitude acclimated) Kenyan marathoners (one had 2:09 marathon PR), in addition to a super star national team mountain runner who had just come back from 2nd place in an international cross country championship race in Switzerland (1:03 half marathoner). I ended up 5th in this race and hung with the Kenyans for quite awhile up the climb. 5am on summit day: I woke up at the trailhead camping spot and felt I had done all the right preparation. I had four friends from Santa Barbara who would be out at Lower Boy Scout Lake waiting to cheer me on. My wife and two-year-old son would be at the start and finish to provide motivation, encouragement, and official timing. Around 7:45am, I took off from the end of the pavement at Whitney Portal. I felt amazing and was making great time. After 10 minutes, I had nearly a minute lead and was still feeling good, though I was breathing as hard as possible in this thin air. I was running flawlessly, picking great lines on the trail and making no mistakes. I made it to Lower Boy Scout Lake in 30 minutes, which was a minute under the current record holder's time. I made it up to the exposed rock slabs of my shortcut minutes later. Everything was going amazingly well. I increased my lead a bit at every time split. When I made it to Iceberg Lake which is about 2/3rds of the way up, I had a 90 second lead. From there the route gets steeper and more technical. Perfect for my strengths! As I climbed up the steep shoot above Iceberg Lake, I felt very confident and was making good time.

Route up from Iceberg Lake Photo credit: D. Jones

With 30 minutes to go, BAD NEWS: I felt cramps start to build in my right quad. I spent the rest of the ascent fighting off the cramps, trying to climb technical terrain while keeping my right leg as straight as possible. I thought it was over when I reach the saddle 30 seconds down with only 10 minutes to the summit on steep technical terrain. My cramps were getting worse and my leg was nearing the point where it painfully locks up completely. I did the best I could with my 3 good appendages, and somehow pulled up the final 300-yard dash to the summit with only about a minute to spare. I knew it would take about a minute to run, so I sprinted for it. My body was already out of oxygen, and I was going on will at this point. My body diverted any blood still going to my brain into my failing legs. When I made it to the official USGS summit marker, I glanced at my watch, only to see the record time had passed just a few seconds earlier. Wasting no time at the summit, I headed back down the route to see if my legs would magically rebound and let me fly downhill and grab the round trip record (3hrs and 3 minutes). After 5 minutes, my right leg cramped so badly I couldn't move it at all. I WAS DONE! No record for the ascent or for the return trip today. I was motivated to give it another try as soon as my legs recovered. I gave myself 3 days of rest. Since I only needed a few seconds, I weighed my equipment and found a jersey in the back of my closet that was lighter than any other. It just happened to be a stars and stripes national championship jersey I won in college. I planned to return to Whitney on Saturday night to make an attempt at the record on Sunday, August 2, 2015. Saturday night I prepared all of my gear and then camped out at the trailhead.

Gear used in record breaking run

5am: I woke up feeling good. I ate breakfast and then started the run. I decided to go a bit easier at the start and pace myself slower so I could avoid cramps and make up any lost time at the end. Within minutes of starting, I felt just OK, not great like a few days prior. I figured I would give it my best. Despite my slower pace, my breathing was much harder and my effort level seemed more difficult. I was also making some mistakes and left some blood on the route in a couple of places. I held on to the glimmer of hope that I would not fade, though. I learned way way back in my bike racing days that how good you feel, has little to do with how fast you can go. Back then, most of my best results came after big setbacks when I didn't feel great. I made it up to the first lake (Lower Boy Scout) around 30 seconds ahead of the record split. It was 30 seconds slower than my first attempt, and I was feeling sub-par, but I was not fading or feeling worse. I decided not to take the exposed shortcut slab and instead follow the exact route the current record holder took the entire time. Because I had not practiced this, I made an error and followed a trail that led high when I should have stayed low. It cost me a bit of time, but I was back on track no worse for the wear in a few minutes. After the second lake (Upper Boy Scout), I reached Charity and she added some extra motivation and encouragement. I was struggling up the mountain, but slowly increasing my lead. I pulled up to Iceberg Lake with a 60 second lead. At this point, I was ready to give it everything in the last 45 minutes to the summit. If cramps came for me again, I'd be history, but I was not going to let that thought slow me down. I reached the final notch with 10 minutes to go and about 45 seconds ahead of the record split, and was going strong. I climbed the final technical section as fast as I have climbed anything.

Final climb above notch. Photo credit: D. Jones I quickly glance at my watch to confirm I held my lead as I pulled out of the steep part to the final sprint. The 6 people at the summit must have known I was going for it and they cheered me on as I tagged the summit medal in 1 hour, 47 minutes and 40 seconds. A new record by 90 seconds! Without wasting a second at the top, I began the run down, as I was also going for the round-trip record. The downhill starts with some technical scrambling that then leads to the same steep gully I climbed out of Iceberg Lake. I ran full speed down the screen and boulder filled gully. It was equal parts running, surfing, and controlled falling/crashing for the steep 1000-foot drop to the lake. From there down is a blur in my mind. I stayed focused on the trail 5-10 feet in front of me and just ran the race to the bottom as fast as I could, with only brief glances up to view the route farther ahead. When I reached the road at the end, I was cooked! I stopped my watch and laid down in the shade. When I caught my breath, I looked at my watch and saw I had smashed the round trip record by 25 minutes. I had gone down the mountain in 50 minutes and 35 seconds, which made my round trip time 2 hours, 38 minutes and 15 seconds.

I am thrilled with this accomplishment and grateful for all the people who helped me. It would not have been possible without this support. An extra special thank you for my wife and son, Charity and Hayden, whose contribution to this accomplishment exceeds words.